Moteurs FOX : History & Perspectives
François ODOUX-LEFEBVRE, CEO of CEN – “Constructions Électriques du Nord “ (CEN)(Electric Constructions of North of France) in Tourcoing, North of France, for which the first electrical machines were built in 1897, wants to implement the worldwide extension of individual controls for small machines which, were at this time, simultaneously controlled by pulley devices and belt transmissions.
In April 1rst 1949, FRANCOIS ODOUX-LEFEBVRE decided to create a new manufacturing site, “MOTEURS FOX “ that was not competing with the actual CEN activities but was completing CEN manufacture with focusing on fractional horsepower motors, innovative motors after World War II (1939-1945).
“MOTEURS FOX” started on manufacturing small fractional motors (0.1 to 1 Horse) for the equipment of various industrial machines in the mechanical, textile, and agricultural fields. These motors were equipping also various electro-domestic needs such as the washing machine, the innovative machine born after World War II.
The company count then 35 to 40 people, of which 1/3 follow a continuous instruction (evening classes) in order to prepare and obtain electrical coil winder, mechanical turner, and fitter diplomas.
Starting 1956, the company focused on ameliorating its productions and get into a market of new series of electrical motors, notably in the construction of series AS (Armored closed motors with blown wings and external fan).
Soon, a remarkable innovation was born in the fifties, when the company created a new foundry using new technics in cockle aluminum runs for the manufacture of short-break circuit rotors and convection stator frame with high output.
The company was the first in France in years 1958-59 to be able to create cooling turbines/fans with Rylsan.
CEN and Moteurs FOX
On September 1rst, 1959, the company became a S.A. and extended its production to reach powers as high as 4 horses at 1500tr/mn. This new powerful production will serve to numerous applications for electrical motors allowing various needs for electrical machines constructors. It will become the base for new creations of geared motors, electrical fans, electrical pumps, electrical mixers, and sirens.
During these years, joined the sons of Francois ODOUX to lead the company (Francois ODOUX, Yves ODOUX, Dominique ODOUX and Gerard ODOUX).
During the sixties, the company decided to work on repairs and/or re-built motors of small and medium powers at the same time, with manufacturing standard electrical motors, but leaving the activities of cutting rotor and stator sheets in order to keep up with the large production of small motors.
In 1968, to improve manufacturing quality, the company started to develop its skills in dynamic balancing of rotating pieces, rotors, fans, and others.
In January 1rst 1969, the company changed from SA to SARL.
Since and during the years 2000 up until today, the company follows its vocation of manufacturer. A new generation of electronic motors using alternative currents and variable frequencies intended for the car industry grew and now present great future with the collaboration of research centers. During these years, Francois ODOUX ‘s grandson, Gerard Dominique ODOUX, joined MOTEURS FOX and is now leading the company.
Amongst the studied research projects in relation to improvement in acoustic, is the manufacturing of PAKITA and MONICA sirens. These manufactures, because of their performance and robustness, have been chosen by the French government to be used in the National alert system of the all country (SAIP: Alert system and Information of Populations). This situation allowed “MOTEURS FOX” company to extend its market at the international level. To help in the International development, Francois ODOUX ‘s grand-daughter, Christine ODOUX, joined to work on the market development of PAKITA sirens at the international level.